- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 1 TB dried parsley
- 3 cups frozen or fresh broccoli - coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup onion - finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper - finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (overflowing)
- 5 slices bacon (I like the thick cut)
1. If you have a cast iron dutch oven (4 quart or more), this works great, if not use a stock pot. Cut bacon into small pieces and cook in dutch oven to render the yummy bacon grease. I cooked mine until crisp, then remove the bacon (but leave grease in pan) and set aside to drain.
2. Over medium heat add chopped onion and bell pepper to the bacon grease. Stir the onion and bell pepper around and let it cook until the onions are translucent.
3. Add broth, salt, cayenne pepper, and parsley. Bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, steam your frozen broccoli. Then fine chop about half of it.
4. Add broccoli to soup and reduce heat to low.
5. Add heavy cream and water and cheese. Do not boil. Stir over low heat just until cheese melts.
6. Ladle into bowls and top with the crumbled bacon that you set aside earlier.
Original Recipe Source: deliciously-thin.com